collapse

Author Topic: Thoughts on Oregon?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline dank

Thoughts on Oregon?
« on: September 22, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
In a couple of weeks I have to go up to Seattle (my home town) to get the rest of our Very Important Stuff that we left with a friend when we moved to California. On the way back down I was going to hit up the southern Oregon coast for an abalone and maybe a fish. I'm going to get all of my licensing taken care of on the way up so I'll be good to go.

I've looked around on this site and others for some Oregon abalone diving information so I've seen a little of what's out there but if anyone has some useful information they'd like to pass along that would be killer. I have a couple of general spots jotted down to check out like Mill Beach and Harris Beach in Brookings where I know people dive so I'll probably start there unless I hear/read of something better.

Should I bother bringing my kayak? Normally I'd bring it just in case but I'm hesitant to drive it all the way to Seattle and back just to maybe use it once or twice.

So if anyone has some intel they'd like to pass along I would be very grateful. I know I can drive thirty minutes for abalone out here but getting one from Oregon sounds really cool, especially since I have yet to dive anywhere there.

Thanks guys!

Dan

Offline Scallop shooter

Re: Thoughts on Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 07:23:14 AM »
The folks up three I talked to said they go to Cali for abs.

Try the bridge at Newport for lings though, same peeps said its good.
I have dove around brookings and it was ok ( bad wx) .
Good luck ,Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Stay calm and dive on

Offline dank

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 09:19:39 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I think I'm just going to go to Brookings and jump in somewhere I see other divers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Scallop shooter

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 09:21:10 PM »
Whales head beach in brookings is good,look for scallops . Lots
Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Stay calm and dive on

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 01:54:54 AM »
My daughter was born in Seattle..... Ballard swedish..... Miss that place

Offline dank

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:44:58 AM »
I think I've probably been to the ER once or twice at Ballard Swedish.... I miss Seattle a bit, but I grew up there so it's nice to live somewhere else now and also have some anonymity.

And thanks for the Whales Head Beach tip, Chuck!

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 07:57:56 AM »
I think I've probably been to the ER once or twice at Ballard Swedish.... I miss Seattle a bit, but I grew up there so it's nice to live somewhere else now and also have some anonymity.

i lived above the salmon bay cafe.... Loved watching the supersuckers at the Tractor

Offline dank

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »

i lived above the salmon bay cafe.... Loved watching the supersuckers at the Tractor

My mom still lives near there. I've been drunk at the Tractor Tavern more times than I can count!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt