collapse

Author Topic: Moat Creek this week?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Bearhart

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 12
Moat Creek this week?
« on: September 20, 2016, 04:27:49 PM »
Anybody have any opinions or insights on what the dive conditions could look like at Moat Creek this week? More specifically this Thursday the 22nd?

Offline Amsmosh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 326
Re: Moat Creek this week?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 04:48:07 PM »
Just look at the surf forecast for pt Arena.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline ryang85

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 627
Re: Moat Creek this week?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:19:30 PM »
Not to good


   

Offline Bearhart

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 12
Re: Moat Creek this week?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies, so I've been there under some different conditions so I'm trying to picture how this is going to setup......and I'm new so I'm also still trying to decipher what the forecast is going to translate into for diving vs. a surf day.

I'm looking at Thursday's. I'm guessing that with the direction the NW swell is coming from the point to the north won't offer much protection and later when the SW comes in with the long period it's going to be more surge or will it not matter much since it's only about a foot?

Offline Bearhart

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 12
Re: Moat Creek this week?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 05:58:55 PM »
I've also looked at a forecast like this thinking it was going to be huge and then see reports from people that it was flat.

Offline ryang85

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 627
Re: Moat Creek this week?
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »
I recommend packing both gear if possible then choosing surf vs diving once you see how the coast is, or check a webcam at home.  Saturday was forecasted to be flat most of the day then got pretty big out of nowhere.

Offline Yowlie

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 679
Re: Moat Creek this week?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 09:10:15 AM »
I recommend packing both gear if possible then choosing surf vs diving once you see how the coast is, or check a webcam at home.  Saturday was forecasted to be flat most of the day then got pretty big out of nowhere.

and watch it for a while (15 min?) before you decide and anticipate conditions at the time and place of exit and backup exit

Offline John

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 430
Re: Moat Creek this week?
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 08:05:41 AM »
Something that works for me is to not be committed to diving only one spot. If you drive a little ways and scout it out,you can find a diveable spot almost any day. I too have gone out on forecasted big surf days and found flat conditions and vice versa. Nowadays I just plan my trips based on my schedule instead of forecasts. If it's the storm of the century then I just drink a beer and watch the waves.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Joshua R.

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2581
Re: Moat Creek this week?
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 08:21:59 AM »
Point Arena is a good alternative to Moat Creek if you get there and it's blown out. 

 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt