collapse

Author Topic: I guess it's ok to dive wherever the hell you want.  (Read 4250 times)

Offline DG

I guess it's ok to dive wherever the hell you want.
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:24:53 PM »
Ok, so I dove Caspar for the Triton X Spearfishing tournament today.  Have not dove the area since last years event as I usually pick spots closer to home.  I definitely don't have a bunch of secret spots there but did have an idea on a couple locations we were going to check. 

So I made a plan on who I was diving with and where we wanted to hit.  Decided if anyone was in the location we wanted to dive we would just try a different spot and if they left we would decide if it was worth going back and checking it out. 

So while I was in the water I looked back and people were diving right under my kayak.  Seriously it is a big ocean and if you didn't get there first you should try a different spot.  For those that did it you should really think before doing that again. 

If someone wanted help or suggestions on spot I am willing to help to a point.   But it is a competition and following others around instead of scouting or putting in the time is not the way to do it. 

I just left and went to a different location.  A location no one was diving and found a fat 10.5 lb Cabezon to add to my stringer. Just goes to show you just because someone is in a spot doesn't mean it's the only place holding fish.   

I ended up in 2nd place for the tournament so the day turned out okay.  They announced that the prizes would be given out based on highest scores so I assumed I would get the 2nd pick. Nope, ended up picking around 8th because of the other categories like women, junior, masters, big ab, big ling, big scallop who all had less total points.  Yeah that's how they do it.  The 7th person took the item I was going to get. Oh well found something good but at half the value that's a little hard to swallow. 

For those who want to do tournaments just remember this kind of stuff happens and that's why some of the more experience divers stop doing them.  Next year I may just pay my $10 for lunch and hang out and drink beer.  Working hard and getting 6 species was an actual goal that I was trying for so felt good about that but to let someone with 16 points win a speargun or high priced dive gear over someone with 83+ points just didn't feel right.  My wife thought that was crazy also.  I tried to explain they are trying to bring more children and women into the sport.  But there really should be a better way to do it. 

Going to go clean my gear and fish.  Rant over.  Well unless Rob posts I need to get a "tournament" shield to act in conjunction with my shark shield, shielding me from tournament BS.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:29:22 PM by DG »

Offline ryang85

Re: I guess it's ok to dive wherever the hell you want.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:33:27 PM »
sounds like you had a slightly better day than me,  I couldn't track down a 30+ ling in eveywhere from 65 to 15 fow. just got teased by a few 25inchers instead.  but for the prizes that sucks, I thought general would be the most awarded. Good thing I did crappy so I don't have to worry because I loose nomater what. 83 points is  still very impressive, especially on a day like that.

Offline DG

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 05:43:20 PM »
sounds like you had a slightly better day than me,  I couldn't track down a 30+ ling in eveywhere from 65 to 15 fow. just got teased by a few 25inchers instead.  but for the prizes that sucks, I thought general would be the most awarded. Good thing I did crappy so I don't have to worry because I loose nomater what. 83 points is  still very impressive, especially on a day like that.
But at least now you know what can happen.  Since you want to do more of these just be prepared for stuff like that.  Even with what you got you could have got something if you turned them in.  At the other Triton MB tourney this year I wasn't going to turn in my fish as I just wasn't having a good day mentally and didn't feel like killing a bunch of fish to take back to Ft Bragg.  Adam told me to enter them and ended up with biggest ling.  There were a lot of zero entries today so you could have at least broke even with a new knife or back up gear.  Next time. 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:52:33 PM »
But at least now you know what can happen.  Since you want to do more of these just be prepared for stuff like that.  Even with what you got you could have got something if you turned them in.  At the other Triton MB tourney this year I wasn't going to turn in my fish as I just wasn't having a good day mentally and didn't feel like killing a bunch of fish to take back to Ft Bragg.  Adam told me to enter them and ended up with biggest ling.  There were a lot of zero entries today so you could have at least broke even with a new knife or back up gear.  Next time.
yes,  I do regret not turning it in. it's alright, always got next year.  probably will be doing the randy fry as well. Shity weather with good vis still beats staying at home and working

Offline Rick

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 10:12:27 PM »
For those who want to do tournaments just remember this kind of stuff happens and that's why some of the more experience divers stop doing them.

Well, actually, I just felt bad about winning so much free stuff.

;D

Offline Rick

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 10:13:58 PM »
Who winned overall?

Offline DG

I guess it's ok to dive wherever the hell you want.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 10:19:48 PM »

Well, actually, I just felt bad about winning so much free stuff.

;D
Probably true and thats why I said some and not all. 

As for who won overall.  Think it was J Humphreys.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:28:42 PM by DG »

Offline Rick

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 11:49:35 PM »

As for who won overall.  Think it was J Humphreys.

I wonder if that's Bob Humphrey's son.

In any event, a 10.5 cab is a solid fish!

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 12:51:20 PM »
Hey.... I'm here and yeah there were three people hook and line fishing in my perch spot so.... I lost 10 points seems like it was a lot this year but I got the prize I wanted to get and it was worth a lot more than my entry fee, plus tee shirt.... Plus food.... I thought the domestic pig was better than the wild!!! ..... Definately going next year...... Really good seeing all of you there!! 🙃

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »
DG,

You should have hung that shark shield off the kayak to keep the jerk offs from dropping in on you.

Offline DG

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »
DG,

You should have hung that shark shield off the kayak to keep the jerk offs from dropping in on you.
I was going to pick the shark shield prize so I would have a back up to do just that.  But most likely I would just shock myself more. 

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »
DG,

I was going to pick the shark shield prize so I would have a back up to do just that.  But most likely I would just shock myself more.

We were just joking about strapping a shark shield to each wrist and ankle . . . .  YOU COULD BE THE FIRST.  And  Congrats DG.  I think you were experiencing a post-tourney let-down.  That is an awesome finish.  Enjoy it . . . .

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »
Congrats on the 2nd place finish and fat cabbie!!

Bummer about the guys diving right under you, and the way the prize pulling worked out...that would bum me out as well...

Congrats again dude, you're having a great year!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline DG

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 09:58:14 AM »
Congrats on the 2nd place finish and fat cabbie!!

Bummer about the guys diving right under you, and the way the prize pulling worked out...that would bum me out as well...

Congrats again dude, you're having a great year!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim
Thanks Jim and Yowlie. 

Didn't know post tourney let down was a thing. 

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »
thus why I do not do them anymore !!!

I like to dive for fun and with my buddies for good times
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt