collapse

Author Topic: 2016 World Championship Abalone Cook Off  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Joshua R.

2016 World Championship Abalone Cook Off
« on: September 06, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
I was asked by the event coordinator to pass this along.  I think they have room for 5 more teams.  Some NCUH members competed last year and as far as I know they had a great time.

Greetings from Mendocino Area Parks Association.

If you are receiving this email it is because you have been officially invited to the Mendocino Area Parks Association 2016 World Championship Abalone Cook Off in Fort Bragg on October 8th, at the South Noyo Harbor Coast Guard Station.

We’ve sold all of the 600 tasting / judging tickets available in two weeks, four months before the event.  We currently have 30 cooks with room for three more.

30-33 cooks are divided randomly into three color groups.  Each cook team in their color group will prepare 200 1 inch x 3 inch tastings (rough in size) for the general public.  Of the 200 judges you serve in your color group, the team with the most votes advances to the finals.  An additional 3 celebrity judges in each color group will advance a second team.  There will be six cooks in the finals.  If you make the finals you will cook another 9 tastings for the celebrity judges.  The six cooks in the finals will be judged for first through sixth place. There are an additional 4 tastings you will serve to volunteers bringing the total number of tastings to 216.  Eight 8” ablalone should be enough to make 216 tastings.  The maximum number of abalone allowed in your booth is 12.  We recommend 12 so you can share with friends and other cooks.

Please read the rules on the mendoparks.org web page under special events/abalone cook off / cook information.  Registration is though Erin McBride, MAPA Cook Coordinator, at 916-225-0793. During the registration process you will be briefed on all the things you need to know.

We’ve made some changes to the prize money based your feed back.  There will be no prize money in the finals. Finalists will receive 1st thru 6th place certificates and the Glass Abalone Trophy for first.  We are bringing back the rental home for the winner of each color group although not the one in Mexico. The Mexico home was sold and is no longer available. The prize structure is as follows:

-First place team from each color group will receive a $1,000 check to reserve any of the Vacas vacation rentals up and down the north coast.  You can find their listings at VACAS.COM.

-Second and third place teams from each color group will receive large Dive Prizes from Subsurface Progression.

-Fourth through last place teams from each color group will be able to choose a smaller dive prize from Sub Surface Progression.

-Every team that competes will receive a $200 check from MAPA at the end of the competition to help cover the costs of competing in the event.

Free camping will be at Vann Dame State Park this year for October 6th, 7th, & 8th in the upper loop.  We have 40 free sites.  Please Let me know if you are planning to take advantage of our state parks during the event.

You can process your abalone the day before the event (Friday October 7th) however you need to be in the process of preparation with a marinade of some sort. If you are planning to process Friday please make sure you discuss your recipe with me first.

Most importantly please let me know if you are not coming.  We currently have 30 registered cooks with only three spots left.  We always have a half dozen or so last minuet requests to cook and it helps us if we know if your plans to cook have changed.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call.

Sincerely,

Erin McBride
MAPA Cook Coordinator
916-225-0793
erin.mcbride@live.com

Offline StinkyPete

Re: 2016 World Championship Abalone Cook Off
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:23:02 AM »
Whenever a space comes up to be a chef at a competition so random people can judge your food, I always think of this story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Red_Hen#Plot_summary

Or this:

Carpe piscem

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
Rough childhood....... 

Offline the_derek

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 03:43:31 PM »
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt