collapse

Author Topic: The best way to tenderize your meat  (Read 6805 times)

Offline the_derek

Re: The best way to tenderize your meat
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 04:37:46 PM »
If you let the abalone die in the refer it will be easier to shuck and will be a bit more tender in my experience, but its still necessary to pound it, or beat it over the concrete in a pant leg, or club it with a 2x4, or hang it up as a penata and let your kids do the work.
  that's all there is too it, letting the abs soak in freshwater kills them usualy within 10 minutes. ( not going to get into the biology of it)  then you can choose your beating method.

does verbal abuse work?
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 09:14:21 PM »
Let it slowly die in the refrigerator BEFORE TRYING TO SCHUCK IT!   Try it if you don't beleive me, tis the most tender way

That only works because your abalone are so tiny. You could set one of my shells on your abalone and it would probably split your ab.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 09:35:57 PM »
The only way that I found that works "the best" is give it away to some one who will cook it for you. I find all other methods are to much work.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline ryang85

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 09:51:58 PM »
If you let the abalone die in the refer it will be easier to shuck and will be a bit more tender in my experience, but its still necessary to pound it, or beat it over the concrete in a pant leg, or club it with a 2x4, or hang it up as a penata and let your kids do the work.
  that's all there is too it, letting the abs soak in freshwater kills them usualy within 10 minutes. ( not going to get into the biology of it)  then you can choose your beating method.

does verbal abuse work?

Most abs I've yelled at died at some point, usually because they clamp onto the rock before I get my bar in and I'm cursing at it underwater till it breaks free and its feeling are hurt  so bad it gives up, so verbal abuse may be something to experiment with on land.   10 pounds of pissed off abalone stuck to a rock fighting against 160 pounds of me always is a fierce subsurface battle.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 08:19:48 AM »
I'm all for this method.  Don't know how it works, but it does.  You just have to be careful that you don't split the ab by pounding it too hard.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
I'm all for this method.  Don't know how it works, but it does.  You just have to be careful that you don't split the ab by pounding it too hard.

I don't mind if it splits. Actually I don't stop until it splits. 

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 05:36:26 PM »
Let it slowly die in the refrigerator BEFORE TRYING TO SCHUCK IT!   Try it if you don't beleive me, tis the most tender way

That only works because your abalone are so tiny. You could set one of my shells on your abalone and it would probably split your ab.

Hope you guys are wearing your tall boots. The BS is rolling in thick.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 08:26:19 PM »

Don't be a hater Adam

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 08:53:35 PM »

In this crowd and at I'm 5'9", I'm always in my tall boots.
Carpe piscem

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »
Ive never had to beat the ab... just let it slowly die and trim it well. Sometimes if I dont want to trim it so much, Ill just lightly pound the edges of each slice.
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline John

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 04:52:44 PM »
I used to slice it 1/4" and pound each slice until you could see daylight through it,  then I discovered the whole pounding method and started trying to get 3/4", most tender steaks. But now I like a little "tooth" to the meat so my current favorite is to just pound it whole for a little while and cook it in chunks with a good sauce.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 06:21:08 AM »
Nice to see a video of that technique. My friend told me about it years ago. He basically said, "Ya, toss an ab inside the cut off leg of an old pair of jeans and slam it on the pavement a few times until it softens up." So I did the sew one end closed and swing it over the shoulder thing. It didn't work out so well. I'll for sure try this! If the water ever settles down.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt