collapse

Author Topic: The best way to tenderize your meat  (Read 6781 times)

Offline StinkyPete

The best way to tenderize your meat
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
Now that I have your attention...

I generally refrain from posting anything of value, but this was too good to pass up. Until I saw this video, I was like so many others where I cleaned, trimmed, and sliced the ab, then pounded each piece until it became rubbery, and then cooked the super thin strips, which takes forever and is a pain in the a$$.

Thanks to this video, those days are over. I tried this method out the other day, and was cutting the ab up into 1/2" thick pieces within minutes of starting the process. It had the consistency of chicken thighs once it was done. Instead of using a pant-leg, I just put the ab in a vacuum sealed bag. If you were out camping, you could probably do a redneck vacuum seal on a ziplock bag and it would work just as well.

Anyhow, if you haven't seen it before, enjoy. Oh, and make sure to watch both parts.

-StinkyPete
Carpe piscem

Offline oldmanfishing

Re: The best way to tenderize your meat
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:40:23 AM »
I've been tempted but afraid I would ruin it.... You sold on it ? I'm going try it with my next ab 👍

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:18:30 AM »
I've been tempted but afraid I would ruin it.... You sold on it ? I'm going try it with my next ab 👍

I am totally and completely sold on it. I wish I had taken pictures of the abalone stir-fry I made afterwards. The chunks of abalone in it were big enough that you would have looked at them and said, "No way that isn't going to taste like eating a shoe". Also, this method doesn't make the pieces look like horrible like when you hammer the crap out of them.

It's a game changer for those who haven't tried it.
Carpe piscem

Offline Slamson

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:37:15 PM »
I've tried it! I recommend trying it if you haven't. Waayyy less work and you taste more meat rather than whatever you're frying it with.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:40:56 PM »
+1, I've done this, the edges sometimes get a little soft, and I've broken a few abs in half with this method.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline oldmanfishing

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »
Cool I sliced n battered 5 large abs by myself to feed an army awhile back and by the time I was done I was ready to sell my gear and take up golfing... Last 2 day trip I just took 1 a day and was hesitant on that😂😂

Offline _MikeM_

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »
It's a game changer for those who haven't tried it.

I saw this video about a year ago and it changed my whole attitude about preparing abalone! I wasn't sure it would work when I first tried it but boy was I happy when it did. I won't go back to pounding each slice. Try it if you haven't!

I baked a whole ab in a white wine garlic cream sauce (with mushrooms) after tenderizing using this method. It came out fork tender and was delicious although really rich.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:29:23 PM by _MikeM_ »

Offline dank

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »
The best part about this method, besides the time savings, is that there is so much less waste.

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
Does it freeze well if you use this method?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:49:49 PM by Malibu_Two »

Offline ryang85

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:26:40 PM »
wrapping it with a towel and hitting it with a 2 by 4 has a similar effect to this.  it's a lot easier

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
This guy and his "you have been doing it wrong" quotes,  tho. 

I guarantee the mantle will be seriously chewy with this method...
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 07:26:07 AM »
Let it slowly die in the refrigerator BEFORE TRYING TO SCHUCK IT!   Try it if you don't beleive me, tis the most tender way
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline the_derek

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »
Let it slowly die in the refrigerator BEFORE TRYING TO SCHUCK IT!   Try it if you don't beleive me, tis the most tender way

i thought they got tense as they died. Do you still pound or just let die & cut up?
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
If you let the abalone die in the refer it will be easier to shuck and will be a bit more tender in my experience, but its still necessary to pound it, or beat it over the concrete in a pant leg, or club it with a 2x4, or hang it up as a penata and let your kids do the work.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 12:58:20 PM »
If you let the abalone die in the refer it will be easier to shuck and will be a bit more tender in my experience, but its still necessary to pound it, or beat it over the concrete in a pant leg, or club it with a 2x4, or hang it up as a penata and let your kids do the work.
  that's all there is too it, letting the abs soak in freshwater kills them usualy within 10 minutes. ( not going to get into the biology of it)  then you can choose your beating method.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt