NorCal Underwater Hunters Discussion > DIY Projects

BIG AB BARS !!!

(1/5) > >>

MATT MATTISON:
 Got a little board on my lunch break so made a quick trip to reliable hard where and steel picked up some aluminum stock and making long ab bars 35 3/4 inch long DFW regs allow up to 36 inches long. Nothing like grinding away and making a huge mess with aluminum shavings. Pretty easy and quick project if you have Reliable Hardware and steel hydro cut the basic shape for you at a cost of $75 plus the material then all is left is the fine tuning of grinding it down. I already have one but making up 2 more to give to some good trophy diver friends of mine.

DG:
Fun project.  There have been a few occasions where that would be the only way to get the abalone. 

Rob102:
Matt,

Just remember you shouldn't grind nonferrous metals, such as brass or aluminum etc., without a grinding stone or abrasive disk that is not specifically made for those particular metals. The metal will clog the porous surface of the grinding medium which in turn causes the binding adhesive to overheat and fail which will cause the disk or stone to fragment and "explode".

Please use hand files to work aluminum.

I know I have posted this before but it warrants repeating.

ryang85:

--- Quote from: Rob102 on June 17, 2016, 04:42:28 PM ---Matt,

Just remember you shouldn't grind nonferrous metals, such as brass or aluminum etc., without a grinding stone or abrasive disk that is not specifically made for those particular metals. The metal will clog the porous surface of the grinding medium which in turn causes the binding adhesive to overheat and fail which will cause the disk or stone to fragment and "explode".

Please use hand files to work aluminum.

They do make paddle or flap disk wheels work on smoothing aluminum, but have seen many grinders blow up before. a short period of time is usualy ok, but I wouldnt do more than a touch up without an aluminum wheel.

I know I have posted this before but it warrants repeating.

--- End quote ---

maodiver:
I used aluminum grinding wheels for the grinder to make mine.  Files suck and take too long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version