Above Water Hunting and Land Hunts > Everything Mushroom

Forest Ling

(1/2) > >>

Jeremy:
I came across this ling skull while mushroom picking at Salt Point yesterday.

It was about .75 mi from the water and 450 ft alt.

I'm guessing a large raptor or vulture jacked it at a fish cleaning station or campground.

To remain on topic, here's also a pic of a cauliflower mushroom that my wife found.

Jeremy:
Nice ones!

This was my first time eating cauliflower mushroom. I poached it in cream and seasoned it with salt and white pepper. Very savory. Will try it in a soup next time!

lazyhook:
Cauliflower mushrooms work really well with potato preparations, such as scalloped or au gratin.  Also, with richer versions of mac & cheese (meaning not out of a box).

Either way, cook the mushrooms up a bit first in a saute pan.  Then, add the other dish as part of their normal preparation.

The hardest part of dealing with them is cleaning, but they are worth the effort.

Jeremy:

--- Quote from: lazyhook on December 06, 2015, 09:58:59 PM ---Cauliflower mushrooms work really well with potato preparations, such as scalloped or au gratin.  Also, with richer versions of mac & cheese (meaning not out of a box).

Either way, cook the mushrooms up a bit first in a saute pan.  Then, add the other dish as part of their normal preparation.

The hardest part of dealing with them is cleaning, but they are worth the effort.

--- End quote ---

Yea, cleaning was difficult since it can't be brushed. I held it down in that metal bowl while swirling it in shallow water, which I changed many times. I might try cleaning it with a spray bottle next time.

Thanks for the cooking tips!

Jeremy:

--- Quote from: randyrhoads on December 07, 2015, 11:11:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jeremy on December 07, 2015, 08:24:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: lazyhook on December 06, 2015, 09:58:59 PM ---Cauliflower mushrooms work really well with potato preparations, such as scalloped or au gratin.  Also, with richer versions of mac & cheese (meaning not out of a box).

--- End quote ---

Yea, cleaning was difficult since it can't be brushed. I held it down in that metal bowl while swirling it in shallow water, which I changed many times. I might try cleaning it with a spray bottle next time.

Thanks for the cooking tips!

--- End quote ---

Was it packed with dirt or something? Mine was sparkly all except for the bottom which I cut off. The rest I cut into chunks and ran water over while in a colander but there was no dirt really.

--- End quote ---

I can't remember what it looked like when my wife first found it. I think some of the dirt might have been transferred from other mushrooms in the basket. I didn't have any way of isolating it. Packing paper bags next time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version