NorCal Underwater Hunters Discussion > Hunting Gear

Getting aftermarket tinting on dive masks?

<< < (2/4) > >>

rluiz:
Just curious why do you like the tinted masks? Sun glare at the surface? Just curious, I was taught to avoid them, that way when surfacing your partner can see your eyes for black out or any problems.

Zpearo:

--- Quote from: Sir Rob IV on January 31, 2019, 01:07:51 PM ---Just curious why do you like the tinted masks? Sun glare at the surface? Just curious, I was taught to avoid them, that way when surfacing your partner can see your eyes for black out or any problems.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I mainly like it for reducing sun brightness/glare at the surface. Last weekend with the clear mask I got a bad headache on the paddle out from sun glare and have never had that problem with a tinted mask. I also feel like the amber tint does help increase contrast underwater and, except for the worst visibility conditions, I don't mind a bit of darkening (especially since I always dive with a light in norcal).

charlierobinton:
I am indifferent to the tint. To me it was just the mask model that fit the best happened to also be tinted. The Cubera is pretty light tint. You can actually see through well enough from the outside to still look through into someone's eyes if you needed to.

TheKeeneroo:

--- Quote from: Zpearo on January 31, 2019, 01:56:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: Sir Rob IV on January 31, 2019, 01:07:51 PM ---Just curious why do you like the tinted masks? Sun glare at the surface? Just curious, I was taught to avoid them, that way when surfacing your partner can see your eyes for black out or any problems.

--- End quote ---

Last weekend with the clear mask I got a bad headache on the paddle out from sun glare and have never had that problem with a tinted mask.

--- End quote ---

Surface swim? I read that as if you're kayaking with your mask on.

Zpearo:

--- Quote from: TheKeeneroo on January 31, 2019, 03:20:18 PM ---Surface swim? I read that as if you're kayaking with your mask on.

--- End quote ---

Surface swim, as in swimming on the surface to the spot. I had a Banks board for a shore dive that day, not a kayak. So some swimming while propped up on the board, some swimming with my face in the water, and some swimming on my back to use different leg muscles for the long swim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version