NorCal Underwater Hunters Discussion > Hunting Gear

Getting aftermarket tinting on dive masks?

(1/4) > >>

Zpearo:
I think I finally found a low volume mask that:
1. Doesn't leak (for me)
2. Fits my big nose enough for me to still clear
3. Sits far enough from my stupid long eyelashes so I'm not blinking against the inside of the lens

So I'm quite excited. However, the mask isn't offered with tinted lenses, and I prefer them. Anyone have advice on if I could send them in somewhere to get a tint applied, and how much that would cost?

TheKeeneroo:
I put the word out to a few groups on Fbook to see if there were any replies. Most people were questioning why you wanted darker lenses hahah. Obviously you want colored tint like yellow or red (although there are good arguments on both sides of the debate as to whether tint actually works... I've never tried tinted so I have no buy in on either). Here are a couple of the replies that had links and not just opinions  :P

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/max-vision-ultra-hd-mask

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.onlinescuba.com%2FXS-Scuba-Switch-Mask-Lens-Filters-P22911.aspx%3FOptions%3D58303%26gclid%3DCjwKCAiAs8XiBRAGEiwAFyQ-erIR-fhAq4QJZqHbXptp8oNlu49IHMObKYX5wq2Eir3iWj_v5bRvHBoC-zAQAvD_BwE%26fbclid%3DIwAR3yMQWTo7g7yi75GxqjjLVrEqIVzJohmR1V6kGgR_as5fLdU0XHJmLZ3NI&h=AT3lswlAAieMNo0Od7V1DrJA-e_xwvVvMrtutGW6Mk29liVkewJ6fWujrLh8lCH-r4dg2_2FFMz9_PkiOzWsngTt99-cuD8yU5ZeKgdlqkYk204GpgZbVlcjA4pDV7ez

charlierobinton:
This may or may not be very helpful, but I also have a lot of trouble fitting masks and after trying a ton I found the Rob Allen Cubera mask which is tinted and also fairly inexpensive. The staff at the Freedive Shop in Sac where I frequent told me it fits almost everyone who tries it because of the way the skirt is shaped. I wouldn't call it a super low volume mask but it is low volume compared to most of whats out there. I've been diving with mine since August now and like it enough that I bought another.

Just in case you haven't actually purchased your new mask yet, you may want to try that one!

Zpearo:

--- Quote from: TheKeeneroo on January 31, 2019, 09:05:10 AM ---I put the word out to a few groups on Fbook to see if there were any replies. Most people were questioning why you wanted darker lenses hahah. Obviously you want colored tint like yellow or red (although there are good arguments on both sides of the debate as to whether tint actually works... I've never tried tinted so I have no buy in on either). Here are a couple of the replies that had links and not just opinions  :P

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the links (the diverightinscuba link gave me a 404 error, but I looked up the "Max vision ultra HD mask" elsewhere). Those filters are an interesting idea, but I doubt they'd fit onto masks other than the one they are designed for? As for the Max vision ultra HD mask... I know there are plenty of tinted masks out there, but the issue is most masks don't fit me right.

--- Quote from: charlierobinton on January 31, 2019, 11:14:20 AM ---This may or may not be very helpful, but I also have a lot of trouble fitting masks and after trying a ton I found the Rob Allen Cubera mask which is tinted and also fairly inexpensive. The staff at the Freedive Shop in Sac where I frequent told me it fits almost everyone who tries it because of the way the skirt is shaped. I wouldn't call it a super low volume mask but it is low volume compared to most of whats out there. I've been diving with mine since August now and like it enough that I bought another.

Just in case you haven't actually purchased your new mask yet, you may want to try that one!

--- End quote ---

Yeah I had actually tried the Cubera and it fit me wonderfully, but I couldn't get it to stop fogging up. I sold it to a new dive buddy who didn't have issues with it fogging on him. I had tried a lighter and toothpaste on it several times, but it still fogged, so I decided it was a mask issue somehow. Jason at the freedive shop mentioned to me earlier this week that he uses a butane torch, so I'm thinking of buying another Cubera and trying the torch instead of just a lighter to see if the higher heat will help. But the other mask I've found is super-super low volume and so I'd still be interested in getting it tinted if I could, versus just getting Cuberas.

charlierobinton:
Right on. I have had no fogging issues with mine, but I spent like a solid 1/2 hour scrubbing it with toothpaste before going out for the first time. The advice I got was "scrub it until you think you've got it all, then do it again, and when you are done do it once more for good measure" lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version