General Discussion > Freediving Discussion

Fish Spine Infection (with pics)

<< < (3/3)

the_derek:

--- Quote from: dogpaddle on September 11, 2018, 10:42:17 PM ---What kinda fish did that? I'm not taking those anymore :P

--- End quote ---

the poison oak kind

TheKeeneroo:

--- Quote from: the_derek on September 12, 2018, 10:04:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: dogpaddle on September 11, 2018, 10:42:17 PM ---What kinda fish did that? I'm not taking those anymore :P

--- End quote ---

the poison oak kind

--- End quote ---

^^^ bahaha

FROM BUSHY:
"I started wondering about rockfish pokes.  I've noticed some subspecies hurt me way worse than others.  Specifically browns andthe quillbacks up in Alaqska.  Google search was not easy.  Everyone wants to talk about the sexy scorpion fish or stonefish....

I did find one abstract though with some good info.  The quillback and the brown are the only rockfish with toxin in al of their dorsal spines.  And they both have a high ratio ofof toxin glands to spine length.

Here's the chart that told me what I already know.  Browns and quillback pokes are the WORST."
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=85308.0;attach=372631

dogpaddle:

--- Quote from: TheKeeneroo on September 12, 2018, 11:25:38 AM ---
--- Quote from: the_derek on September 12, 2018, 10:04:59 AM ---

--- End quote ---

the poison oak kind

--- End quote ---

^^^ bahaha

FROM BUSHY:
"I started wondering about rockfish pokes.  I've noticed some subspecies hurt me way worse than others.  Specifically browns andthe quillbacks up in Alaqska.  Google search was not easy.  Everyone wants to talk about the sexy scorpion fish or stonefish....

I did find one abstract though with some good info.  The quillback and the brown are the only rockfish with toxin in al of their dorsal spines.  And they both have a high ratio ofof toxin glands to spine length.

Here's the chart that told me what I already know.  Browns and quillback pokes are the WORST."
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=85308.0;attach=372631

--- End quote ---
No worries then. Never came across any of the poison oak species while diving . I have received a light poke from a black and lost all feeling in my thumb for about 5 months. So hope I never get poked by anything on that list.

Seadog:
You can get all sorts of nasty bacterial infections from ocean life. My buddy’s dad was sick with a microbactarium he contracred from cleaning fish and lasted for many months. Gotta be cautious with open wounds and keep em clean. Ha but that really does look like a poison oak rash.

Alfonso:
Fish spine infection in a finger:

Fish spine infection in a forearm:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version