NorCal Underwater Hunters Discussion > DIY Projects

DIY - Shaping Pathos Foot pockets (with pics)

(1/4) > >>

TheKeeneroo:
Parviz at Red Triangle Spearfishing gave me a deal too good to pass up on a new pair of Subcraft blades with Pathos Foot pockets. If you haven't hit him up for gear, make it your first stop.

There are several DIY forum posts out there with notes on how to shape the foot pockets and it was easier than I expected.

- Get a tub of cold water ready that can fit the foot pocket in.
- Wrap foot pocket in a towel to create an "oven" effect and aim the hot hair dryer into the foot pocket (with the level of heat my wife's hair dryer puts out, i kept it about 3" from the surface), moving around so as not to overheat one area.
- Put 1 regular sock on under your neoprene sock and when the rubber is soft and hot to the touch, gently put the fin on. I pushed my fin toward my foot in areas that needed it and then other areas needed to be stretched (like my big toe).
- Once I was confident it fit well, I submerged it in the cold water (while still on my foot) for about 1 min.

It worked great and now I have a left and right specific fin. It's easy to tell just by the toe line, but I also marked the underside.

P.s. Carbon fins are amazing.

DG:
Damn, wish I would have seen this sooner.  I walked on hot coals with mine.  Worked great but left a few marks and got my feet a little hot. 

All that new gear you should be hitting 100’ with 3 kicks. 

Still busy for a few more weeks then going to try and make a trip down south and maybe we can get a dive in. 

Rob102:
Which fins a stiffness did you end up getting?

TheKeeneroo:

--- Quote from: DG on August 20, 2018, 01:25:02 PM ---Damn, wish I would have seen this sooner.  I walked on hot coals with mine.  Worked great but left a few marks and got my feet a little hot. 

All that new gear you should be hitting 100’ with 3 kicks. 

Still busy for a few more weeks then going to try and make a trip down south and maybe we can get a dive in.

--- End quote ---

You betcha. I'm going diving next week to see max depth.

Come on down! The water has been like a lake this week! I'm hopping in tomorrow night just cause it's such good conditions right now.

TheKeeneroo:

--- Quote from: Rob102 on August 20, 2018, 02:04:24 PM ---Which fins a stiffness did you end up getting?

--- End quote ---

After a LOT of reading, i decided to try medium first, before trying soft. I know you would have persuaded me otherwise =P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version