NorCal Underwater Hunters Discussion > DIY Projects

HELP NEEDED: Converting closed muzzle to open

(1/4) > >>

TheKeeneroo:
I recently had a really big ling break part of my muzzle bridge (the part that makes it "closed") on my Omer Cayman 75. It still shoots fine as is (for now), but is missing a chunk and has a crack that goes through the bridge (I can take pictures of it tonight). I'm wondering how to best convert it to an open muzzle and the only article I can find on the forum is this one: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=64341 . The only problem is that superfrog's modification worries me that the pin he installed will catch the line and not release it like it should. I'm wondering what I could use that has some curvature to it like on the Mako guns. Do you have any advice on how to do this? Preferably with pictures? Doesn't seem to be a lot on the internet about it (that I can find). Thanks for the help!

My type of muzzle

Where mine broke

Superfrog's solution that I'm not confident will work:

Rob102:
Get a new muzzle.

ryang85:

--- Quote from: TheKeeneroo on June 11, 2018, 11:54:29 AM ---I recently had a really big ling break part of my muzzle bridge (the part that makes it "closed") on my Omer Cayman 75. It still shoots fine as is (for now), but is missing a chunk and has a crack that goes through the bridge (I can take pictures of it tonight). I'm wondering how to best convert it to an open muzzle and the only article I can find on the forum is this one: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=64341 . The only problem is that superfrog's modification worries me that the pin he installed will catch the line and not release it like it should. I'm wondering what I could use that has some curvature to it like on the Mako guns. Do you have any advice on how to do this? Preferably with pictures? Doesn't seem to be a lot on the internet about it (that I can find). Thanks for the help!

My type of muzzle

Where mine broke

Superfrog's solution that I'm not confident will work:

--- End quote ---
Closed muzzles suck from my expirence. Like rob said spend 35 bucks and get a decent one.
I had a muzzle do a similar thing on my  junky old AB biller and the next dive it  compleatly shattered down the side  to the band slot when i shot at a fish.   
Not sure what the inner diameter of that barrel is but  a lot of pipe guns are standered if your in a hurry to get it. A lot if dive shops have them laying around from roller conversions and such.   35 bucks isnt bad though.
Also its better to use 291 sikaflex when installing the new muzzle. But any marine silicone will get the job done if you already have it.

TheKeeneroo:

--- Quote from: Rob102 on June 11, 2018, 01:54:57 PM ---Get a new muzzle.

--- End quote ---

That's what I'll end up doing, but I got a really intriguing reply from Mikel_24 on spearboard.com. It makes a ton of sense and I've already got my spear double wrapped. His answer was this:

Relax. This is eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasy. Some guns even have that "bridge" part removable for the open muzzle lovers. Long before that, some of us used to open them ourselves. Last one I recall modifying was a Picasso Century.

First, remove any burrs or left over plastic bits from the bridge part that got broken.

Second, rig your gun with TWO WRAPS of mono and do the following:
First wrap follows the traditional route: end of shaft, muzzle, back to the line release and all the way to the muzzle again. Second wrap, and this is the KEY, goes under the muzzle on one side, over the shaft, down to the other side of the muzzle, back to the line release and to the muzzle again.

The second wrap of mono is what holds your shaft in place. I have been doing this for years with a closed muzzle (Sporasub Viper) just to avoid noises from the shaft banging arround when I put the gun upside down. Works great.

Mikel

Rob102:
First of all, a closed muzzle as you discovered, is the wrong muzzle for hole shooting Ling Cod unless you have the ability and presence of mind to pull the gun back off of the shaft. With all of the urchin I don’t recommend throwing the gun back behind you.

Second, unless you have a very short gun a second wrap is useless and just more unnecessary thing to deal with. If you can shoot to the lengths of the second wrap on a 75, you are overpowered and your accuracy will suffer.

Bottom line, get the proper tool for the job rather than trying to make the wrong tool work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version