General Discussion > Freediving Discussion

Noob Equalization question

(1/8) > >>

Twid:
I'm new and I have a question, is ear equalize like popping your ears at high altitude?

Sir Rob IV:

--- Quote from: Twid on March 16, 2018, 11:05:02 AM ---I'm new and I have a question, is ear equalize like popping your ears at high altitude?

--- End quote ---
Yes it is. Pinch your nose, close your mouth and blow out, you should feel air release from your ears. Maybe a squeaking noise. The key to equalization is to do it often and don’t force it. I’ll do one before my dive and again every three kicks or so. If your ears aren’t equalizing easily abort the dive resurface and try again.

dogpaddle:

--- Quote from: Twid on March 16, 2018, 11:05:02 AM ---I'm new and I have a question, is ear equalize like popping your ears at high altitude?

--- End quote ---
It depends how you pop your ears at high altitudes. Can't really chew gum while diving. That said, wiggling your jaw a little and grunting slightly is a good way to equalize under water.

the_derek:

--- Quote from: WildernessMedic on March 16, 2018, 01:08:46 PM ---Preforming a valsalva at high altitude is the opposite of what you want. High altitude is a decrease in pressure resulting in extra trapped air inside. Diving is an increase resulting in negative pressure that requires extra air added to it. At altitude jaw movement may open your Eustachian tubes. That’s the equivalent of what your ears go through on the way up, not down.

Whenever you’re going down with an increase in pressure you need to add air. Wiggling your jaws doesn’t do that. Hands free and frenzel you are forcing air in as well as opening your tubes.

--- End quote ---

Twid:
So plug my nose shut my mouth then try to exhale through my nose?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version