collapse

Author Topic: Scupper pro hatch kit question  (Read 773 times)

Offline J50cal

Scupper pro hatch kit question
« on: March 01, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »
I have a scupper pro with a single hatch in the front and a blank in the rear. I see they sell a hatch kit for the rear. If I add the hatch kit will it mess up the kayak in anyway structurally? This kayak would be a second boat and used as a bribe tool to get a dive buddy out in the water, so I don't want it cracking in half and sinking....ha.haha. thanks

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Scupper pro hatch kit question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
Send a picture

Offline Badfish

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »
Does it have the tank well in the back (Scupper Pro TW)?  If not, it probably has the outline of the hatch (but just hasn't been cut out).  It would absolutely be fine. 

I used to have both versions, and bought the kit and installed the additional hatch on the one.

Offline J50cal

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
It's not a TW, hopefully this pic shows up well enough..... I just wanted to make sure sawing on a perfectly good boat was o.k but I'd like the storage capacity!

Offline dank

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
What type of hatch cover does it have in front and what year is it (last two digits of the serial number indicate the year)? The later models use the "Pro Hatch" covers which are still in production and are widely available. The older models have hatch covers that have been discontinued for quite some time.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:50:49 AM »
That is what that spot is for. First though, you want to get your hands on a hatch cover, straps and gasket.

Offline the_derek

Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Badfish

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 02:30:47 PM »
Yes what Rob said...Just make sure you have the right gasket and hatch cover first!

Offline dank

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 04:33:36 PM »
The site that Derek linked to is a great resource for the learning the differences between the models. You can also email Tom with any questions and he's really responsive.

Offline SnailHunter

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »
Once you open it up, i would recommend putting a bit of foam in the pointy end of the boat.  Spray or 2-part PUF will work, just don't go too crazy, it expands a bunch.  If you use 2-part, let it react a little before pouring it in, it generates a bit of heat initially.

Offline J50cal

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 05:29:48 PM »
The front hatch is about an 8"-10" circilar hatch. All great info. I'll find the serial number, get the year and see if a hatch is available. Thank you 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast