collapse

Author Topic: Took advantage of Pres.Day and explored the Monterey/Carmel Coast  (Read 649 times)

Offline Creatura

Hey All,

Finally got my dive gear moved down to Santa Cruz and thought I would hit up some of the spots this Monday just to explore entry/exit points.  Beautiful days, minus the wind and nasty swells.

Started off parking near Lovers Point and walking the coast trail along Otter cove, it looked like there were two sandy openings in the beach with stairwells heading down at those spots.  I have read that entry and exit can be a burden during low tide, and I only saw 2hr parking so I would have to explore some more.  I have also heard that spearfishers take some crap from the local scubers in the area. Spearfishing is not a crime  8).

I then hopped over to Pebble Beach Clubhouse and saw that the Surf Rescue Team was doing some training out there, good day to train in suboptimal conditions.  Got to talk with a few of the guys about spearfishing and they swore up and down that Stillwater was the best place to fish. 

The rest of the areas I checked out were just for fun (Whaler's Cove and Point Lobos South Shore)

In the next few weeks, I will be gearing up for a nice shore (maybe yak) trip.  Personally, I need to spend some serious time focusing on equalizing and simple dive technique, so if anyone wants to aim for 10-20ft dives, lets do it!

Cheers,
Alex

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
Re: Took advantage of Pres.Day and explored the Monterey/Carmel Coast
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
Nice!!

You can park for free at the Lovers lot right above the stairs to the beach (on the south side of the park), or in the little lot over above Otters.

There is also plenty of free untimed parking over at Coral Street just down the same road...good spot for yak dives there...

I've never gotten any grief from SCUBA guys down there when spearing FWIW...

Otters at a super low tide can for sure be a PITA, but on reg tides its not that big of a deal...

SWS is fun for sure and with a kayak you can explore plenty of spots north and south of the cove.

Down in carmel itself you have several different yak/shore dive options before you get to the Point lobos reserve line...copper roof/butterfly/carmel river/carmel meadows....

Plenty of shallow stuff to explore all over so no prob there....

Keep exploring and have fun out there!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Re: Took advantage of Pres.Day and explored the Monterey/Carmel Coast
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »
Finally got my dive gear moved down to Santa Cruz and thought I would hit up some of the spots this Monday just to explore entry/exit points.
In the next few weeks, I will be gearing up for a nice shore (maybe yak) trip.  Personally, I need to spend some serious time focusing on equalizing and simple dive technique, so if anyone wants to aim for 10-20ft dives, lets do it!

I live in PG. Let me know when you want to dive, I can take you to some spots :)
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt