collapse

Author Topic: Wanted:: Favorite Fish Head Recipes.  (Read 1774 times)

Offline the_derek

Wanted:: Favorite Fish Head Recipes.
« on: November 28, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline DG

Re: Wanted:: Favorite Fish Head Recipes.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »
New ring tone for the_derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ryang85

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:26:33 PM »
New ring tone for the_derek

You beat me too it,

haha how did you even find this treasure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline DG

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:32:01 PM »
haha how did you even find this treasure.
This is Derek you are talking about.  Why wouldn’t he know this 80’s music video hit. 

Offline landlocked

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:52:54 AM »
This is sooo Derek!
Landlocked..

Offline the_derek

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »
This is sooo Derek!
lol,

but i really wanted new recipes for fish heads,

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
This is sooo Derek!
lol,

Place them in crab cages and watch them turn into dungeons crab.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline ryang85

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
This is sooo Derek!
lol,

Place them in crab cages and watch them turn into dungeons crab.
Make sure to cut off the ling cheeks first, they are super tasty, takes about 30 seconds per cheek to do.  Then send em down to the crabs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline dank

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
If it's fairly large, simply salt it and bake it. You could also make fish stock or broth with it. There are also lots of fish head soups from various corners of the world. There's a recipe here for Lao fish head soup (Tom Hua Pa) which is really, really good. Just make sure you strain the tiny bits before serving. For smaller ones, Joe's suggestion is a good one.

Offline Seadog

• Josh T
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »
Cover with water add salt, peppercorn, onion, bring to a light boil for 1hr+. Cool and strain, now you got plenty of fish stock to use for chowder or fish stew. Portion it out and freeze it for later use. Or freeze in an ice cube tray, mess with your friends next time you pour em a cocktail! 

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
Cover with water add salt, peppercorn, onion, bring to a light boil for 1hr+. Cool and strain, now you got plenty of fish stock to use for chowder or fish stew. Portion it out and freeze it for later use. Or freeze in an ice cube tray, mess with your friends next time you pour em a cocktail!

HAHAHA!!!

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 11:54:23 PM »
Alright guys maybe someone can give this a go or I will soon. Moms a chef and since she taught me I almost always have this when I can. I do this recipe with my fillets and I’m sure the meat in the fishes head will be even better. Try boiling some dried Serrano peppers and make a salsa(once boiling take out and blend with some of the oils the peppers released and a bit of the warm water. Plus 1/4 onion 2 garlic salt for flavor and from then on use your judgement. Keep tasting until satisfied.) Once you have your sauce take tomato and slice it, some cilantro and cut off everything but the little leaves you’ll want the stem though and some slices of onion. Take the head of the fish place it on about two big squares of foil , add a bit of salt/pepper and with a spoon cover it with mayo. Then layer your tomato around and ontop of it. Place both the onion and cilantro over the top and what I love to add is shrimp. So throw some shrimp in there and to finish it off add the sauce we made from the Chile Serrano. Cover it all up really good with foil wrap it up and throw it in the oven. I’ve always wanted to try this but haven’t shot anything decent with enough meat to even try this but please if anyone gives it a go please tell me how it was.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »
Bigger fish like lings/cabs/stripers/salmon have so much meat in their heads besides just the cheeks....

I often serve the head/collars as an app before serving the fillets as main dish...

Can do in oven or bbq collars attached to head or separate...

Look up any Kama recipe for tips...I use the same method for the whole head as the collars

https://www.justonecookbook.com/hamachi-kama/

I use a NuWave and just sprinkle with some salt/pepper or Tony Chacheres and then serve on a platter with a small bowl of ponzu, and a small bowl of Sriracha/Mayo for dipping sauces.

You can also do a big head in a heavy duty foil packet, stuff inside with cilantro, peeled garlic cloves etc, put in oven or closed bbq, and all the meat just ends up falling off all the bones and fins....

If you have more time and a lot of heads and carcasess, soups are a great way to go...

Rough idea of a recipe here:

http://spearingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5292

Can do the head/collars of bigger RF as well...

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=77642.0

Few random head/collar pics attached.

No wonder I'm not skinny...

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline the_derek

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 09:11:33 AM »
Bigger fish like lings/cabs/stripers/salmon have so much meat in their heads besides just the cheeks....

I often serve the head/collars as an app before serving the fillets as main dish...

Can do in oven or bbq collars attached to head or separate...

Look up any Kama recipe for tips...I use the same method for the whole head as the collars

https://www.justonecookbook.com/hamachi-kama/

I use a NuWave and just sprinkle with some salt/pepper or Tony Chacheres and then serve on a platter with a small bowl of ponzu, and a small bowl of Sriracha/Mayo for dipping sauces.

You can also do a big head in a heavy duty foil packet, stuff inside with cilantro, peeled garlic cloves etc, put in oven or closed bbq, and all the meat just ends up falling off all the bones and fins....

If you have more time and a lot of heads and carcasess, soups are a great way to go...

Rough idea of a recipe here:

http://spearingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5292

Can do the head/collars of bigger RF as well...

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=77642.0

Few random head/collar pics attached.

No wonder I'm not skinny...

Sincerely,

Jim

Great post as always jim, Thanks.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt